Shift interlock relays

Starting today, just after first oil change my 2004 Outback is making a loud relay noise in steering column when I push shift knob towards right from the Park position - the steering column cover vibrates for a second. The ignition has to be on for this to happen. Then I start the car, in Park, when I put my foot on the brake another relay operates loudly in the shift console.

These aren't soft little relay noises they a loud and rude and new. Everything seems to work ok, but I'm worried about relay failure. I have been locked in Park once and had to use the bypass button to take it in.

I called the dealer for their input but I'm looking for ideas before I go back. Dealer says its normal noise but it never made these noises before.

Any ideas?

Reply to
John

Typically, it should be a single loud "click". You say "vibrate"? That would be unusual ...

Reply to
chanpaul2000