Problem with brake/shift interlock....

1994 Mustang 3.8L

The gearshift has a thumb button that requires you to press it before it will shift out of park. This is obviously a safety mechanism. There has been some of malfunction and the button won't go in. So I am stuck with a mustang that can't shift out of park. I already changed fuse #9, which is the fuse for this and also the hazard lights. The hazard lights don't work either.

How do I disable this interlock safety mechanism so I can move my car?

Reply to
bsmith4

I had a similar problem with a T-Bird. I removed the parking brake rocked the car back and forth a few times, and then it shifted. Are you parked on a hill?

Reply to
.boB

How about depressing the brake pedal, ignition switch in run position then moving the shifter. The button will not go in before these steps, leastwise not on my '94.

Reply to
Richard

No, it is in a parking lot (very flat). I tried rocking the car, but still doesn't shift.

Isn't there a manual override button somewhere?????

Reply to
MicrosoftBob

Have tried that already. Also, the manual has some sort of "override" procedure where you remove the key, apply the parking brake, put key back in, etc.... but that doesn't work either.

I'm very frustrated. My car is stuck in a parking lot just because of a stupid "safety" mechanism!!

Reply to
MicrosoftBob

OK try this.

  1. Engine off and remove ignition key.
  2. Apply parking brake
3.Reinsert key and turn clockwise to the first position (OFF)
  1. Depress the brake pedal, move shifter to neutral and start engine.

I seem to recall that you said the brake lights work and that the fuse is okay. If that is correct I would suspect that the problem lies with the brake shift interlock switch. It has perhaps moved and or is stuck such that depressing the brake pedal does not activate the switch.

Reply to
Richard

I managed to get it going. The above procedure was what I read in the manual, but I just turned the key too far and put it past the "off" position. It also turns out that there is a second fuse for the interlock under the hood. It was blown and that's what caused the problem. I don't understand why there would be two fuses for this circuit.

Thanks!!

Reply to
MicrosoftBob

I don't understand why there would be two fuses for this

One fuse is for the brake lamp circuit, it gives the shift lock module the signal from the depressed brake light switch. The other fuse supplies the B+ to the module. Two seperate circuits. Thank you, thank you, just through money.I'll be here all week.

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com