Sound System in my '99 Outback

I've got what was probably a premium stock sound system in my Legacy OB, with the subwoofer amp and CD/tape/weather/radio receiver.

First Q: where the heck is the subwoofer?

Second Q: somebody mentioned replacing the tweeters...what did you replace them with?

Third Q: this deck doesn't like certain CDs at all, mainly some regular pressed disks that are clean and scratchless. Does it need cleaned, or do I need to replace the deck to fix this?

Thanks!

-John O

Reply to
John O

Look under the driver seat!

Reply to
Nilanjan Brahma

There's an amp there, but no subwoofer.

-John O

Reply to
John O

In my '04 OBW LL Bean, the "subwoofer" (and I use the term as Suabru uses it, not as I would) is in the cargo area wall on the passenger side. It is, I think, a 6" (maybe 8" ?) oval. Big whoop. No window rattling or ground thumping from this vehicle.

Reply to
Alan

With the right CD, mine rattles the windows. Wanna trade cars?

I think mine is more of a jazz system than the stuff I prefer. Sounds great at medium volume, but it gets pretty bad when I need to feel Nickelback. ;-)

Reply to
John O

I'll trade speakers...

Reply to
Alan

In my 2002 Model OBW we have the premium sound package (6 disk changer, subwoofer, tweeters on the door). The Subwoofer is located under the passenger seat. It's small and fairly flat, but packs a nice 'punch' for our musical tastes.

You should be able to replace the tweeters with any brand of the same size. As picky as people are about their sound systems, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find a replacement

No idea, never had a similar problem.

Reply to
Bobby

I recently replaced the stereo in my '03 Legacy wagon with a Nakamichi... BIG improvement, and I haven't even upgraded the speakers yet. I didn't expect to see as much of a difference with the head unit.

The nice thing about the Nakamichi is it looks fairly stock... no bling bling... yet it sounds great.

If you have the tweeters in the door on the backside of the mirrors, I don't know how you could replace them easily... but they're easy enough to pop off and measure and see if you can find a replacement. They're much smaller than most aftermarket tweeters I've found.

Reply to
Particle Salad

Crutchfield doesn't have direct replacements for those, which fits right in with what you've found. I've seen a couple recommended component speaker systems, but they're too rich for me. The subwoofer isn't anywhere obvious (not in the back, either) which leads me to believe this is really a simple bi-amp system where the sub is set to cross over at 300 Hz or something, which drives the door speakers. The head drives the tweeters only. Thanks for the advice on the Nakamichi, I'll look into that one.

-John O

Reply to
John O