Spark Plug Wires

I don't remember seeing this in the owners manual...

I have about 60,000 miles on my 2k Outback. I replaced the spark plugs many miles ago, but still have the factory wires. Does anyone know when they should be replaced?

Also what brands would you recommend. My experience with these things ends many years ago with Blue Streak on Ford small blocks. :)

thanks

jb

Reply to
Jack

I wouldn't worry about them unless you're having ignition-related problems; loss of power at hi RPMs, poor performance on rainy days, hi HC on emissions tests, etc. Modern plug wires (plugs too, FWIW) usually last a long time, and the degradation of the wires insulation is more of a time X temperature thing than mileage anyway. Don't know if your OB has a distributor or not, but you'll probably go thru a couple sets of cap/rotor on the same wires as long as you don't pull an end off or something. Two easy tests for bad wires: Find a nice dark place and start the engine. Open the hood and look for corona discharge (a blue "glow") around the coil, dist. cap, and along the wires. If you see any at all, replace the component(s). Or start the engine, and run your finger around the "towers" of the coil and cap, and along the wires. If the insulation is good you shouldn't feel anything. If you get "bit", replace the component(s). This takes a bit of courage, but unless you grab an uninsulated wire or something, any shock delivered thru a failing dielectric will be fairly mild; more of a pinching sensation than anything. But you _will_ feel it; prepare yourself so that you don't jump and wack your head on the hood if it happens :-)

OEM or Bosch. Plan on spending a bit more for the good stuff; probably $30 - $50 for a set. Whatever, don't waste your time with the $9.95 set from Bubbas Discount Auto Parts; this is one place where you really _do_ get what you pay for.

ByeBye! S.

Just got a set of Bosch for my '82 GL. Cost was around $25. Appear to be well made.

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller

Steve

The one other thing I use to do on my Mustang was check the resistance (with an ohm meter) on the wires. If all the wires had basically the same resistance, I would assume they were still OK.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Reply to