Change other components with timing belt?

I have a '97 Legacy wagon with 75K miles. Is there anything else I should get changed when I get the timing belt changed? Car runs great, though it's got some rattles here and there.

Thanks, Dwight '97 Legacy Wagon Brighton '03 Legacy Sedan GT

Reply to
Dwight Morrow

Tony Hwang

Many recommend replacing the water pump: Much of the labor involved in the belt replacement will be duplicated if the pump goes bad some time in the near future. Also, the drive belts (alt, ,a/c, etc.) have to come off anyway, so if they exhibit any wear or cracks replace them. If the old ones are at all serviceable, label them and put them in with your spare tire to use if one of the new ones fails prematurely.

Reply to
null_pointer

I would replace the water pump as well as thermostat. Here is my own experience: In October 2002, I had the timing belt replaced at 120,000 miles. Water pump was fine and did not leak. In October 2003, I had to have water pump replaced as the bearing was failing. Mileage was 132,000 miles. So I got one more year out of the water pump and 12,000 miles but it cost me about $170.00 in labor. Since I had bought the car used, I should have done both at the same time as I had no idea how old the water pump was. But from my experience with Subaru, I think 75,000 miles is probably the limit for the water pump.

Harold

PS> The mechanic replaced the water pump with an OEM who makes water pumps for Subaru, I think the name was White but I am not sure. I think what I am saying is you can order a quality water pump from Subaru's OEM supplier.

Reply to
iamoosed

Hi,

I'd add all the seals on the front of the engine: cam seals, main crank seal, O-rings on back of oil pump, front oil pump seal. If they're not already brittle, they're getting that way with the time and miles you've got, so you'll help prevent leaks in the future.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Null has the 2nd tier work right. If you want to be *really* preventative, here's the 3rd tier:

  1. Remove oil pump and locktite back plate screws. You should only have to do this once, not with each belt change.
  2. Replace front crank oil seal.

  1. Replace camshaft oil seals.

  2. Replace belt tensioner.

Since you'll probably have to drain the coolant to get this far, it's a good time to change it.

75K miles is a good time to change the plugs too.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

try not to pollute while doing all this but i hear squirrels will eat anything

mk5000

"} cbox1.setDataProvider(iList); cbox1.setChangeHandler("cb1"); cb1 = function(combonent){ "==jack

Reply to
marika