Spark Plug Wires

Thanks to those who answered my questions on different spark plugs in my Taurus.

Now the next question- I find the spark plug wire boots won't pull off the spark plugs after 6 years of use. I used a large pliers to get one boot off but it tore the boot open. Is there a way to soften the rubber in the wire boots? Are after market ignition wires as good as the dealers higher priced stuff?

Reply to
Awelch

Before you try to pull them off, twist the boot to break the seal between the boot and the plug. Over time the rubber tends to bond to the porcelain. When you reinstall the plugs, put a dab of dielectric tune up grease in each boot to help keep this from happening again. There are various tools available to help ease boot removal, from simple hook type tools to special boot removal pliers. Some parts stores sell single plug wires but it's getting uncommon and after 6 years, well......but it is an option. Motorcraft wires are recommended for your car and are available at many parts stores. There are good aftermarket sets available also. Either way, they will be in the $50-70 dollar range for quality replacements. Don't be tempted by the $21.95 lifetime warranty sets and you should be fine.

Reply to
Tom Adkins