1500 silverado - part 2

thanks for all the info so far - in checking the haynes manual, they suggest - listen for sound at pump with ignition key on. it was doing this before - but has since stopped (battery ok at 12V) - they say " if no sound...check prime circuit with test light and turn ignition key ON" Question 1- do they mean KOEO or crank Question 2 - how do you remove a relay from fuse box - there seems to be 2 small slits at the bottom of the relay (one on each side) - do these get depressed to pull relay out ? does the relay just pull out with brute stregth? Thanks in advance for any info We have checked the vacuum lines visually - no apparent problems there

- but have not checked them beyond visually.

Reply to
K in NC

Key on. When switching the key from off to on, the computer turns on the fuel pump for about 3 seconds to prime the fuel injection system. Since you aren't cranking the engine at this point the fuel pump should be easy to hear.

Not positive on that one, but they are usually just push in and should pull out with modest force and a little wiggling.

If the fuel pump was screaming and now it isn't, will the truck even start and idle now? If not then you've found your problem. Replacing the in tank fuel pump is DIYable, but it isn't fun (I've done it twice on my '97).

Reply to
Pete C.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the quick resp> K >

Reply to
K in NC

Test light connected where? Remember, it will only be lit for about 3 seconds, so you can't turn the key to on and then go hookup the light.

Since you seemingly heard the pump whine when you were having the driveability problem, and those pumps are know to get loud when they are failing it's likely that the pump is bad, not the relay.

Are you sure you have the correct relay? I don't know for sure on a

2002, but on a 1997 the fuel pump relay is in the under hood fuse and relay center located on the drivers side next to the ECM. It's position is indicated on the label under the cover for the F/R center, and it is a plug in relay with no catches of any kind, just wiggle and pull.
Reply to
Pete C.