1995 chevy lumina temp. reading

I have a 1995 Chevy Lumina, and every so often my temp reading in the car shows that the car is running hot, even sometimes in the morning when I first start the car. There are no leaks of any steam coming from the radiator or the engine. The hot light will stay on for about 5 min then the reading goes down to about 140 deg. , without me even doing anything. Does any one who why my car is giving this phony reading and how I can fix it..

Reply to
mbmalone05

could be bad temp sender on block.

Reply to
norm

This means you car is running for a while or not?

Whats about heating, there are any changes?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

I'd swap out the sending unit before anything else.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I, too, have a 95 Lumina. Had the same prob. U have air in the cooling system. To correct...1. Idle car with rad cap off and radiator full.

  1. Allow temperature to rise until thermistat opens,(allowing coolant to circulate thru the entire system.) As the coolant level drops in the radiator add coolant as necessary to completely fill the system. Do all of these procedures with the heater on. This is sometimes a bit messy as coolant sometimes wants to bubble out of radiator just prior to the thermistat opening. I loosely keep the cap on to prevent much of the over spill. Also, u might be quite surprised as to how long it takes to heat up with the radiator cap off, so just be patient. I think mine took 30 mins - 45 mins. Its necessary for u to be in position with the antifreeze at the time the thermistat opens as, once again, this is the time that you'll put it in. U might have to do this procedure a couple of times before your system is completely up to capacity. One last thing, There is a bleed screw on top of the thermistat housing. Sometimes after intial start, the system with heat rather quickly as observed on the temp gauge. If you were to check the upper rad hose at this time, u'll notice it is under pressure. Relieve this pressure with the bleed screw while running and hot. You'll probably have to do this a few times also. Good luck ...Jim
Reply to
gobroncos

The Problem was the temperature sensor. Thanks to all for your help

Reply to
mbmalone05