2001 Alero rear brake caliper

I'm going to replace the rear brake pads on a 2001 Olds Alero. I have the

2001 GM Shop Manual (from Helm) and there is a big discrepancy on what it shows for the torqe for tightening the rear caliper bolts. On page 5-84 under the heading of "Brake Caliper Replacement - Rear" is says tighten the caliper bolts to 81 lb-ft. However, on page 5-91 under the heading "Disc Brake Hardware Replacement" for the rear caliper bolt it shows 33 lb-ft.

Does anyone have a newer manual that only shows one value? or have any experience to know which one is the correct value?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Wilbur

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

I'll have to agree with Dave on that one although I don't have the torque specs either. 81 ft-lbs on the caliper bolts will twist the head off in no time.

Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Thanks for your help and suggestions. It actually turned out that 81 lb-ft was correct. I originally tried to remove the bolt (only need to remove one to change the pads) with a 3/8" drive socket wrench, just like I did the front one. But I had to end up using a 1/2" breaker bar and a plastic pipe over the end of it to get enough leverage. Unlike the front, this bolt had a

15mm head and the bolt itself was as thick as the bracket bolts. Anyhow the job is done!
Reply to
Wilbur