Brake Caliper

Anyone any tips on replacing seals on a brake caliper? I have not tried to fit the seals kit yet but would expect it to be difficult pushing the piston and new ring seal back in without damaging or twisting the soft rubber. It's one where there is only one piston, Rover 45. Reason is MOT failure on brake balance- maybe just the slides to be greased and forget the seals? Any help appreciated, still a week to go before the old MOT runs out and the car drives OK. Mark H

Reply to
Mr John X

Imbalance may just be a dodgy set of pads, mountings or slides need cleaning or more rarely sticking pistons, if they can be pushed back in with hand pressure or just over then they are not the problem. Push out the piston using the brake pedal before removing caliper. Cleaning out the groove for the seal is the first essential. Clean the bore and piston and make sure the piston can fall in and out of the bore. Pop the new seal in the groove and lube with brake fluid, fit piston, add dust seal. Refit and bleed. Sounds easy ? It can be.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If it's the piston that's seized enough to bugger the balance then you might as well get a new caliper, fortunately it's more likely to be the slides. Lube the seals with the silicon goop that comes in the kit, make sure the calipers immaculately clean & you've cleaned the rusty lip off if it's developed one & they "just opo back in " >:-) . To be honest getting the piston back in's normally easier than bleeding the brakes afterwards.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Without liability - I'd disagree - I'd rebuild my own brake calipers myself but when easing the cleaned piston back into the cleaned bore with the new seals, I'd have used the special grease that doesn't rot the rubber seals - often you get it with the seal kit but sometimes you buy it seperately.

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Err yeah, I think I said that :-)