89 Dodge d100, new clutch and valve cover gaskets.....now truck runs like crap.

Just had a shop install a new clutch in my 1/2 ton '89 Dodge D100, truck style 4 speed manual. I put new valve cover gaskets on it. Now engine surges, misses, loads up, and it used to run 'perfectly'. I have retraced 6 times every connect I unhooked during the valve cover gasket replacement. Plug wires in right places, every vacuum sp? connect correct, electrical connects ok. Help! Is there anything the shop could have unhooked while removing the tranny/bellhousing/ flywheel and failed to reconnect that would cause my previously smooth

318 to turn into a sputtering problem child? the shop claims no, but then again, they hadn't even tightened the inspection cover bolts on the bell housing.........so.......

Any help would be welcomed. I love my truck.

Doug in ABQ

Reply to
sprayboy27

Was the valve gasket or clutch job done first. Did it run poorly after the first or second repair job.

Kinda hard to track down problems like that via the internet. But I would look for a vacuum leak somewhare, possibly a broken sparkplug wire, improperly installed valve cover gasket or two plug wires that were swapped.

Reply to
John S.

Check the resistance on the plug wires. Sometimes rough handling can cause internal breakage. If a few of the plugs are not firing now, that would explain your symptoms.

Reply to
Daniel

'Surging' normally means vacuum issues to me. I would suspect you cracked a vacuum line fitting or knocked one loose.

Plug wire ends can be sneaky too. I had an expensive set of Accel wires that 'all' fell apart the first time I changed the plugs. (The coil wire only didn't break and yes I used dielectric boot protector) The metal ends fell off the wires. It then ran like crap. Thought I had a bad plug until I pulled the wires off the second time and saw the end caps still there.

Mike

Mike Romain