Valve Cover Gaskets

Hi All,

First time posting to this newsgroup. Just came back from local dealer after dropping off car for a SES light on, oil leak (origin unknown), and possible coolant leak (smell of antifreeze after driving) on my 2000 GTP with 37,000 miles. The car has just turned 4 years old. The tech has determined the source of the engine oil leak is the rear valve cover gasket. He showed me and I agreed there is evidence of a leaking valve cover gasket. The rear of the engine is also coated with oil. He also believes that the antifreeze smell was probably actually engine oil burning off. That I am not sure about and still suspect a small coolant leak, although I rarely have to add coolant during oil changes.

I have (2) questions. Are the 3.8 supercharged models prone to intake manifold gasket leaks? My brother's 2001 naturally aspirated 3.8 was recalled for this. If I recall correctly the intakes on the two different models are actually made of different materials and hence may not suffer from the same problems. There are no recalls in effect for my car.

Also, the tech this morning said the supercharged models are relatively prone to valve cover gasket leaks due to the inherent higher temperature conditions under the hood created by the supercharger. I kind of took that to mean that I may be looking at this repair again in the future.

As I really don't need the supercharger (the car is my wife's daily driver), I'm now wishing I would have purchased a GT instead of the GTP, if in fact the techs statements are true. I was looking forward to having an easy time with the 3.8 as it always seemed to have good reviews. Of course, not everything is trouble free.

Can anyone confirm what I have mentioned? Looking forward to a reply.

Gary Picha

P.S. The SES is the result of an EVAP system problem, later traced to a small leak in the purge valve.

Reply to
Gary Picha

The Supercharged Series II 3800's do not have the composite material upper intake, and are not plagued by the same coolant leaks that the N/A's are accustomed to, to my knowledge. The supercharger/intake itself is made out of aluminum. It doesn't rule out the possibility that you don't still have an external coolant leak on your engine though.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Gary

From what a few techs have posted in the past the supercharged version of the 3800 doesn't have the intake leak problem of the standard 3800. Having the SC eliminates the plastic intake manifold altogether.

I don't know for sure about there being more heat under the hood due to an SC.

Just be sure you keep the oil level up in the SC. If your valve covers are similar to mine, the thin rubber gasket is similar to a rubber band stretched around the inner surface of the valve cover. There is very little width contacting the top of the heads to seal the oil in. Maybe the cover was just loose ?

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,726 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Geoff Welsh