camry v6 balljoint removal: advise needed from a tech

I'm in the process this weekend of replacing the front lower control arms on my wife's 93 v6 xle camry. The old rear rubber bushings (large

2" dia) of each of the existing control arms is torn and I think it is the source of some creaking noise she is hearing. The new control arms came with new ball joints so I figured I would replace the existing joints as well. I'm having a problem though removing the castlenut of one of the balljoints with an open-ended wrench (19mm) from the steering knuckle. It does not seem possible to get a socket onto the balljoint castlenut because the driveshaft dust deflector that seems to be pressed into the knuckle is in the way. I noticed on the Alldata site that the procedure to replace the balljoint mentions that this deflector must be removed with a screwdriver first and then replaced with a new one with some special bearing driver tool. I'm assuming a new one is needed because the removal of it is destructive? As well, I'm not even sure if a press is needed to press this dust deflector back in or it is simply a matter of tapping it in with a hammer.

Are there any Toyota techs on here that can advise? comboverfish maybe?

thanks

Dave

Reply to
davemac