Can the EGR valve keep the engine from warming up?

My engine won't warm up beyond lukewarm. A mechanic said the EGR valve is bad and is probably causing the problem. Can this be true?

I did have the EGR valve checked and it is bad as two of the pintles will not open. The radiator, water pump, and 190 degree thermostat have all been changed and the engine still will not heat up to regular operating temperature.

If the EGR is bad you should replace it anyhow. I doubt that it's related to your problem.

More likely the heater core is plugged up. Could also be a blockage or an air bubble in the motor someplace.

Reply to
Noozer

You do not specify what car you are dealing with and operation of the EGR varies from one to another. It is unlikely that the EGR could in any way prevent the engine from coming up to normal operating temperature. It is more likely that you have either a bad thermostat or a bad temperature indicating system. It is also very difficult to condemn an EGR valve where the pintle does not open since many of them are exhaust timed meaning they will only open if they sense a certain amount of exhaust pressure which indicates engine speed/load in many vehicles. You need to make sure your mechanic is qualified to diagnose your paticular vehicle before any parts are condemned or replaced.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut