car stutters on acceleration

Got a 66 mustang with a rebuilt 289 and a holley carb. A few weeks ago, I experienced a weird problem where, when I accelerated, the car started to stutter. I had about 25% the power I should have due to the stuttering. It would run smooth when just driving, but whenever I pushed on the gas, this quick, even stuttering would come back. The next day it was gone. Now, about a month later, its back. If I hit the gas while in neutral, I'll get the stutter for a quarter of a second, and then its smooth as usual. Any suggestions on what to look for? BTW, I replaced the points in the distributor with pertronics a few years back...

Reply to
McGurk

Sounds like its due for a complete tune up....points definitely determine how the car runs... they need to be gapped properly, but so does alot of other stuff... like plug gaps and distributor, wires, hell, even an air cleaner, etc....if its been a while since these have been replaced, for the 50 bucks it costs, it should be done. I seriously doubt its a carb problem at this point....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Carburator choke plate not opening properly.

Reply to
dnoyeB

or a bad accelerator pump, incorrect float adjustment, sticking needle valve or a weak ignition, or incorrect timing

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I would check the distributor cap and rotor first for carbon tracks, points second and wires for the 3rd thing. A spray mist of water in the dark on the wires when it is running will tell you if you have a leaky wire.

Mike

Mike Romain

Oh, when I mentioned points, I meant the unit you put in for a bad (cracked) wire or loose bolt.

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would check the fuel filter first. Make sure it is not blocked. You may also want to check the fuel lines from the tank to the carb to make sure they too are clear.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez