Contaminated Body Filler

No aluma-lead.

There's one here called All-Metal, and another, Metal to Metal filler:

Or you could just sand the bondo down and reapply another thin coat.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Looks like I've run into another potential headache with this restoration job. After having the vehicle covered for a long period of time, today I finally removed the tarp so I could turn the car around. I was very upset to see that some of the body fill (Bondo), applied months earlier, had gotten contaminated with penetrating oil. I had recently sprayed the interior of the side panels, and the oil must have soaked through a pinhole where the new metal is welded on (you try to make a clean weld on sheet metal with a homemade stick welder....). So now I'm afraid I'll have to completely strip this area or worse - is there any alternative?

Reply to
Chris F.

Bondo isn't any good for anything.I have done some minor body repair before, many years ago.I used a product by the name of Aluma Lead.It looks sort of like powdered aluminum, have to mix a resin/hardner with it and quickly apply to the surface of the metal and then sand it smooth.I don't know if Aluma Lead is still available.

probally sells a decent product for body repair. I wouldn't use Bondo even if somebody gave me a free lifetime supply of that stuff. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The oil may continue to migrate. Don't know about car finishes, but for oil in walls the normal procedure is to use a sealer. Bin is one.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I looked all this up when it was first posted. Alumi-lead is gone. Probably because of the lead.

That must have been good stuff...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Alumi-Lead??? how about All-Metal - Same thing, aluminum powder with epoxy. waterproof and sandable

Reply to
bobj

All-Metal?

All-Metal body repair

Maybe it was Alumi-Lead I used to use.I will check the local area auto parts stores around here and see what they have. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Bondo is not the worst body filler in the world.

Inexperienced and incompetent "body" boodies make their own poison

Reply to
hls

One of those American Chopper episodes.They smeared some sort of a fiberglass material on top of a piece of metal for a motorcycle seat.Then they changed their minds and they ripped the material off of the seat.What is the name of that material they used? It was tough to remove it from that piece of metal/seat. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin