Floor Jack Transmission Adaptors

I have to remove a 4R70W from a 1995 Crown Vic. I have found four different adaptors to fit floor Jacks and was wondering about recommendations, are these adaptors generally safe?:

ACDelco TRANSMISSION FLOOR JACK ADAPTER, Item number: 350023052081

Rand 1/2 TON Transmission Adapter/ Hydraulic Floor Jack, 170191533339

New ProForge Transmission Adapter Jack Attachment, Item number:

330210299599

3129 - 1/2 TON Transmission Floor Jack Adapter, Item number:

320215332443

There is also a really cheap transmission jack:

westwindwood2003

I no longer have frequent need for a transmission jack but, I tried the one that adapts a floor jack. I found it was a bit unstable at full height because of the rather narror width of the jack wheels. Any wear in the lift arms which is usual after a few years use with a floor jack made it almost unuseable. The inability of the front wheels to swivel makes it tough to guide the trans in.

I next tried the one you are looking at. It is also a bit wobbly because of the scissor part of the jack lift.. I also found it hard to install the trans working alone without a way to tilt the jack for alignment.

I ended up getting a cheap hydraulic jack that works OK for a hundred bucks on sale at Northern. I made a couple of small tweaks to it and it works pretty well but not nearly a well as some of the commercial duty jacks I have used. The one I have and works OK for limited use is here:

If you plan to do more than a couple a year, you need to set your sights higher. You might also keep in mind that many of these tools effectively pay for themselves on the first use.

You might also check into tool rentals in your area. Most places around here will rent a hydraulic trans jack. The cost may be much better if you plan to do an R&R in one day.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks so much for the information. I am going to rent a transmission jack twice.

Reply to
westwindwood2003

Look into buying one from Harbor Freight. While they do sell cheap tools, the occasional use is just fine. I have a tranny jack from them and have used it several times in my vette.

Reply to
Larry Bud