buying a platform jack (floor jack)

I think I'm ready to buy a platform jack (aka. floor jack).

I notice that Loathes and Home Despot have ones for $50 or so. Then seem to have plenty of capacity for a Subie. On the other hand, I've always liked to buy high-quality tools. So, are the more expensive ones at car parts stores of higher-quality build, or simply higher-capacity in case I ever want to jack up a truck or something ?

Any brand to look for or avoid ?

Thanks, John

Reply to
JGE

I have a Sears 3Ton one that I got with 2 3-ton jack stands for under $100 lo many years ago. It's been good.

I'd definitely recommend getting jack stands as well.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I was ready to buy one for $35 at Sears, but when I got to the register, I found that there was a promotion on it which brought it down to about $25.

I works fine for changing tires on my OB, and I've had not trouble with it oozing down. I'm happy.

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

I have one of those $25.00 ones and it has been fine til I tried to lift my F 150 so I bought a larger one for that. I still use the cheapy for the little cars, so much easier to pull around the garage.

Reply to
chaskess3