Ford 3.0 EFI Starts, Does Not Restart For Hours

This Ford Rangers always starts, idles, warms up, stalls going into gear most of the time.

Have to wait several hours to restart. After turning motor off, it will not restart, but if I put pedal to the floor it temporarily (like one second) will fire, but then dies. Have to wait hours before restarting.

Suggestions??

Reply to
yeshis

yeshis wrote in news:7baef5b1-2e3a-4440-90a7- snipped-for-privacy@o15g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

check your fuel pump pressure. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I checked fuel pump pressure and its enough, over 35 psi. Autozone has free fuel pump pressure gauge loaner.

What next?

Reply to
yeshis

When it doesn't start, pull a plug and see if you get any spark. Check the fuel pressure at the rail and see if you have fuel pressure.

Get a scanner that will let you query the ECU and see if it thinks the engine is turning over.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Also, if the fuel pressure is OK, and you have spark, go down and "rent" a fuel injector noid light bulb tester and make sure the injectors are firing.

Reply to
SRN

Year? Auto/Man trans? What has been done on it in the last few weeks? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed, plugs?Wires?

I'll assume you don't have a good scan tool that can read all the data.

If it starts right up like normal the first time but won't start after it gets warm I would suspect either a coil or a crank/cam sensor.

To check the coil start it up, let it run till it quits, then pull the coil and toss it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so, connect it back up and see what it does. If it starts up fine then I would try it again, if it starts again then replace the coil.

You say the fuel pressure is over 35 PSI, How far over? Normal test on a good pump is 35-45 with 45 being better, Does it hold that pressure for at least 3 minutes with the power off?

Reply to
Steve W.

Believe it or not, but a failing CRANK POSITION SENSOR can cause this problem. Cheap and easy to replace.

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

That is in fact one of the more common failures. If this is the case, you'll have fuel pressure but you won't have spark and the fuel injectors won't spray when you pull them out because the ECU doesn't command them to. And when you put the scan tool on, the ECU won't see the engine cranking.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Check coil output, sparkgap, may be a heat sensitive ignitor, copare sparkgap hot and cold.

Reply to
Scott Smith
******* We used to use a spray can refrigerant to chill electronic parts in-circuit. This was helpful in locating intermittent faults. Might help the OP too,if these cans are still available.
Reply to
hls

A can of air like you use for cleaning out keyboards etc. will work in a pinch, if you have an idea where you want to start.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel