Is An Inspection by A Mechanic Worthwhile?

Hello All

My 1998 Windstar 3.8L, with 145,000 miles on it needs a transmission. I'd like to make sure there isn't another high cost problem lurking around the corner, and am thinking of taking it to my mechanic, and ask him to inspect the engine including a compression test, inspect the front end, brakes, etc.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions on what to look for?

Reply to
KC

is your mechanic reliable? if you can trust him to shoot square with you, ask him to

pull a punch list on your vehicle for needed repairs. some charge for a

diagnosis - unless they do the work, but it is better to get needed repairs taken care

of for safety and as a prevention against the compounding of a bad situation.

also, if he doesn't do x-mission work, ask him for a couple of shops that are reliable / reasonable.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

A good tech should be able to give you a list of obviously needed repairs and a relativly accuare estimate of the general conditon of the engine and suspension/ powertrain with minimum diagnostic time involved. No tech can accurately predict what might fail unexpectedly. A compression test on an older engine dosen't mean much by itself. A clyinder leak down test along with careful inspection for signs of poor maintainence will tell a lot more. In most cases a good look at the sludge under the oil filler cap tells the whole story.

Reply to
Kevin

Could be the best money you spend on it.

Mike

Mike Romain

An inspection is imho a very good use of your money. A good mechanic, hopefully one with experience with that make, who can see and hear things that most of us would pass by.

For example my daughter was considering the purchase of a 2000 Saab. We spent $75.00 for a mechanic at the local Saab dealer to give it a pre-purchase inspection, and he spotted several issues that would have to be resolved in the near future. The owner wasn't willing to negotiate so we passed.

There are

Reply to
John S.