Weber performance carbs

I'm thinking about putting a Weber on my car, a 1985 Corolla SR5. The current carb on the car has a lot of vacuum lines connected to it, the guys at Weber said I can just plug most of them as they are just emission controls.

"just emission controls"? won't that mean i'll fail emissions? And surely not all of the lines are plugged, how would I know where they go?

Current carb is a 2-barrel Aisin, code 16120.

Thanks!

-Maso

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Much of what is sold at performance shops is sold on the basis of "off road use only", which I guess negates them having to certify anything. Depending on what is tested and how tight the standard is, the chances are great that it won't pass the test. My experience is that performance shops are not too concerned with customer's emissions so you need to be.

Reply to
Al Bundy

'Performance' usually means not for street unless you really know what you are doing.

Most of the emissions vacuum stuff can be run by the Weber if you know what to plug in where....

Lots of engines will still pass the tailpipe emissions without the 5 miles of vacuum lines. I know how to tune a Jeep 6 to pass emissions with no Cat converter or computer in it, but not an old Corolla. I do remember the 70's ones were really easy to tune hot. Put a hot coil like the Accel SuperCoil I use in my Jeep, gap the plugs a bit bigger and you get some punch usually on the old beasts. I will bet there are websites for older Corolla freaks same as they have for older Jeep freaks.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

The old rollers were really popular in Puerto Rico - I know a guy from there that was big into street racing, old RWD Corollas, the little Mitsubishi things (I want to say they were sold as the Plymouth Arrow?) and Mazda RX-7s are treated there like Mustangs and Camaros were here in the 60's and 70s.

nate

Mike Roma> 'Performance' usually means not for street unless you really know what > you are doing.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On another note, could I put a 4-barrel carb on this car if I had the adapter plate and the throttle linkage matches up?

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Be careful capping off emission controls. Even if you are able to get the engine to pass emissions an alert inspector will spot the missing or disconnected hoses easily and at least in my state, fail the car.

Reply to
John S.