Is My Transmission Shot?

OK, this just happened...my wife calls me to tell me she's stuck at the bottom of our street, which is a pretty decent sized hill....maybe

800 feet long or so. So I jump in my 96 250 5.8 a/t, hook up to her car (a small Acura) and proceed to try to pull her up the hill. My truck's already in 4WD, and the front tires start spinning in the snow. I was at it for about 2 minutes tops before I noticed that my truck won't go in forward anymore. So I disconnect it from the car, and roll both vehicles back down the hill. Parked the truck in my neighbors driveway at the bottom of the hill and just walked back home. Does this sound like I cooked the trans? Neighbor seems to think it just overheated and said to let it cool down for a few hours and come back and see what happens. Reverse works fine-its just all the forward gears that don't work...feels like your in neutral...damn
Reply to
bajazza

if it comes back, change the fluid before you drive it again. but you may have a rebuild in your future.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Since you have a 96 250 with a 5.8, I am guessing it is also a Ford? If so, you have the E4OD transmission. You may have overheated it but, I doubt that is all unless you heated it to the point of boiling all the fluid out in which case the trans is/was very weak in the first place. You may bring it back to life after it cools and fluid is added. I suspect you have damaged the forward clutch pack which engaged in all forward selections. The only repair is to rebuild the trans. Should you need a rebuild, make sure the shop does all of the updates and modifications. It should also have a cooler - the biggest one you can find.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Hi Lugnut...any specifics on the mods you mentioned? I want to try to 'bullet-proof' this tranny for the future....any other suggestions once I'm in there? Thanks!

Reply to
The Doctor

There quite a few mods that should be done as outlined in the lastest TSB or the laterst ATSG repair manual for it. Some of the upgrades are mandatory as in you can't buy the older parts. Others are minimal cost at time of rebuild. Some of the most important ones are nothing more than a little labor. If you don't mind feeling the shifts, you should install something like a Superior shift kit which can usuallyu be bought for under $30. You can install it at 3 levels of upgrade to the point of shifting pretty damn hard. This is not a problem when towing; around town unloaded, it will wear your ass out like that. An upgraded boost valve in the pump is also a cheap investment for under $20. I have no idea what shops are charging these days for labor. You can usually get all the parts including a rebuilt converter for under $650 around the Atlanta, GA area. There are several parts outlets. Don't even think about a rebuild without a good converter. It has a clutch that wears like everything else. Make sure a filter is installed in the cooler return to catch any debris that may be in the cooler. A good auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator is cheap insurance if you intend to work it for a while. If anyone thinks a trans can be overcooled, just ask someone who has pushed a plow how long it takes to overheat under load.

You may also consider some of the rebuilt units available that are already upgraded to just bolt in. If you take the DIY route, you will need a hydraulic trans jack and some tall stands. The thing is north of 300 lb with xFer case.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut