Koyo bearings* wear >30x as fast as NTN / NSK *

After just 1500 km use of 2 new Koyo * ( tight when fitted in 5-09, with Bardahl synthetic oil & fullerene added in ) on my Proton Saga's right rear wheel, these 2 Koyo * are already loose ( i.e. brake drum can wobble ) ! On Thursday after a long drive, my rear right drum with 2 Koyo * was hotter than my left drum with 2 NTN *, implies these 2 Koyo * were wearing > the 2 NTN *, all 4 * have the same lubricant added. My NSK & NTN * were / are tight even after 50000 & 10000 km use. These Koyo ( fr Japan ) * are inferior, & should be banned to avoid their fast wear & failure.( can cause accidents ) ; in 5-09 1 of my 2 NTN * got wet ( drum's centre cap had no gasket to seal out water, & * had no grease as sealant ) then rusted & broke, this drum then jammed, & if car was moving fast then would swerve right & collide with oncoming traffic.

Reply to
TE Cheah

Years ago, back on your father's Oldsmobile, you could just hammer those wheel bearings in with a mallet. And if they weren't going in nice and evenly, you just used a bigger mallet.

Try that on today's bearings, and you will warp them. And then they will seem fine, but they will fail after a very short time. Modern wheel bearings need to be installed very carefully and if they are damaged you won't know it for a few thousand miles.

So, the first thing I would suspect in your case is improper installation.

The second thing I would suspect is that you're getting counterfeit bearings made in China from junk metal. There are a lot of bootleg products out there that are not what they say they are on the box.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey