need tool advice

Odd question here: My nephew is going to school to be a professional auto mechanic. He hasn't really begun to amass his tools, and I'd like to buy him something for Christmas.

Criteria:

$50-$75 price limt

A tool that he will use throughout his career

Something that can be "excellent quality" within my price range, not necessarily "the best", but something suitable for beginning professional auto mechanic and would be good enough to be appreciated later in the career as well.

Something that one COULD skimp on if he wanted to (and my nephew will tend to do that at first), but where a "$50" tool is much better than say, a $15 one.

Ideas that have been given to me are a good (e.g. Fluke) electrical meter and a dial or digital caliper or micrometer. Unfortunately, even "moderately priced examples of these things seem to be $100 or more.

Any ideas for a $50 tool that a beginning pro mechanic would appreciate?

Thanks much!

Cam

Reply to
Camilo

Torque wrench, fuel pressure test set, flare nut or crowfoot flare nut wrench set.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Camilo wrote in news:ebd7d737-713a-4c6b-bd11- snipped-for-privacy@z10g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

What HAS he got so far?

Reply to
Tegger

I agree about the flare nut wrench set, but where in God's name do you find a decent torque wrench for $50?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ball peen hammers. Two of them, a big one and a little one.

Reply to
Paul

A three piece set of channel locks A serpentine belt tool A set of files Fender covers Gear wrenches Fan clutch wrench(s) A three piece ball peen hammer set A punch and chisel set A pry bar set

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'm not totally sure, but he doesn't have much and almost anything would be welcome, I think.

Reply to
Camilo

gift certificate here?

AMuzi

I second that.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Camilo wrote in news:6a7ec768-c319-470a-b615- snipped-for-privacy@w19g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Is this meant to be a Christmas gift?

Unfortunately, $50-$75 won't buy a whole lot on its own for somebody who has nothing to begin with. Sears Craftsman is a good beginning; they're pretty good value for the money.

He should start with a set of 3/8" Metric and SAE sockets from 10mm/3/8" to maybe 25mm/1". Plus a 3/8" ratchet with a swivel head and a few extensions. Sears has combination extensions that double as fixed and "wobble" types.

If he's already got all that, a set of combo wrenches, both in Metric and SAE.

If all of those already exist, then a Sears Craftsman click-type torque wrench in foot-pounds (probably a bit over your cost limit).

For pro use, stay away from no-name tools (or Harbor-Freight-type) unless money is really a very big factor. There is such a thing as false economy.

You can get often "suitcase" sets of sockets and the like on sale. Those sales can amount to /really/ big savings and give you an excellent collection of tools. My sister (a mechanical engineer, believe it or not) recently picked up a genuine Dremel set in a wooden case. Originally $100, on sale for $25. It had about a hundred pieces in it, plus a two-speed Dremel tool.

It might be better to simply give your nephew the cash, and tell him to watch for the sales at Sears.

Reply to
Tegger

While Snap-On is a good tool, $75 would barely buy him a Snap-On 1/4 combination wrench. Plus, are you SURE there is a Snap-On tool jockey in your area? At my previous place of employment, the Snap-On man simply stopped showing up without warning. My vote is to give him a Craftsman gift certificate. To everybody here who claims these aren't good enough, (and in some areas they leave a little to be desired for the professional mechanic) he could get a small set of decent quality Craftsman tools that could be used for an emergency take-along set in his car/truck that includes a carrying case. They frequently go on sale and that money would get him a nice little emergency set for that amount of money.

Reply to
Kruse

I'd try to pick something that doesn't come with the standard bigass mechanic's tool set, because he's probably going to buy that on credit himself... I like your ideas but agree that good ones may be out of your price range... maybe a pair of pickle forks and an engineer's hammer?

I bought myself this last xmas...

Also, if you can find out what brand he prefers (Snap-On, Mac, Proto, whatever) a gift certificate might be in order, esp. if he *is* going to be buying his "master set" on credit. (that's actually how I ended up with the tools in the link above; I'd amassed enough gift cards at Sears that I needed to blow them on something, and I kept breaking cheap Pitman arm pullers working on rusty old cars)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sears gift card or a Mac, Snap-on, Cornwell, SK gift certificate.

Steve W.

Is an infrared thermometer of any use to an auto mechanic?

I'm definitely thinking of trying to find something that wouldn't come in the big set of standard tools I'm sure he'll invest in soon - some little gizmo that either might be ovelooked or "cheaped out" on - where $50 would buy something decent and handy (not necessarily essential - but handy).

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, too.

Cam

Reply to
Camilo

IMHO yes, I lost mine and miss it.

If you find a good one for a reasonable price please post back!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have no idea what makes for a good one. Any pointers?

I see that for $50-$100 (which gets me in my ~$75 max), there's a lot of offerings.

On the other hand, I see some for several hundred dollars- so maybe getting a $75 one is not a good idea for a blossoming pro?

Reply to
Camilo

I agree with those, or, mix and match

set of Vise-Grips magnetic pick-up tools flex claw pick-up tool stethoscope offset screwdrivers screwholder/magnet small tap and die set

He'll pick up most else when he gets his tool sets. It's the things you don't use much that you wish you had when you don't have them.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I was thinking on the same lines too and have been looking at various pickup tools, mirrors, stethoscope (great idea, I hadn't thought of!), etc.

Reply to
Camilo

Camilo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z10g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

First things first: A lockable toolbox. A large as you can find, but with a

*real* lock, not something that look suspiciously like a cheap bicycle lock.
Reply to
fred

We gave up on the trucks 20 years ago and just call Snap On directly now. (we're 90 miles from Kenosha; overnight delivery)

The suggestion to go Craftsman was a good idea for a starter set.

Reply to
AMuzi