Does my key need to be programmed?

2002 - Gr. Caravan

Had to have the ignition switch replaced last week when the key wouldn't turn and we couldn't get the car out of park. In trying to fix it, the tow driver whacked on it with a mallet and bent the key. AAA has said they would reimburse the cost of a new key.

The key they gave me with the new switch was an ilco Y-159P, available in any hardware store/Home depot.

Looking it up on the web, I found that keys with GRAY plastic have Sentry Chips, black ones do not. The new key (and the originals), all have Black plastic (and the plastic is thinner than keys with gray plastic)

Does this key need to be programmed?

Jay

Reply to
JayD

If the original key that was bent was gray you need to have the new key programmed. If the old key was gray and they gave you a black key it is the wrong key. The bottom line is if the vehicle starts and dies when started the key needs programmed.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower