New to driving, need advice!

hey,

This kinda sounds stupid + my auto isn't a truck but here goes anyway... I just got my license and bought a 93 Chevy Astro cargo van and I need some driving tips. Since its a cargo van it doesn't have any side windows except for driver and passenger side doors but it does have a window in the rear. When I back out of a parking space its hard to see if there's a car crossing behind you unless you can see over the car next to you or can see through its windows. I can back into spaces but when I come home my street is really jammed and backing into it can be a pain. later when its cleared up people speed like crazy so its kinda scary because sometimes you can't see due to of how my space is. You think i should get one of those round mirrors that hang out in the back? I've never seen a small van with one of those so I figure there's another way and i don't want to look retarded. anyway thx

rem

Reply to
Sky

Hi!

It's far better to look a little "retarded" than it is to look really retarded when you've just smashed into someone else's car. I don't know how much the mirrors do for you or if they'd help in your case, as I've never driven a van that had them installed. I have seen such mirrors installed on some US Postal Service vans--the little Ford Aerostars that many Post Offices keep around in this area...

There are also camera-based backing up systems that let you see behind you on a TV set, but I'd bet they are pricey! I've also seen systems that use a sonar-like system to let you know if there is an obstruction behind the vehicle.

You mentioned that you're new to driving--and I can tell you that perhaps some of the things you will have to do and manuevers you will have to make may seem odd. Just use your senses as best you can, use care in hazardous situations (go slow!) and you'll do fine. Congratulations on getting your driver's license by the way...just remember what an awesome responsibility piloting some 2,000 odd pounds of metal down the road can be.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Give your horn a honk or two and backup slowly. Take a look at the scenario before you get in your van. People will honk or yell or get out of your way, so keep an ear out.

BTW: I drive a large delivery truck in downtown Vancouver, Canada and that is the technique most professionals use.

Reply to
Rich

. . . New to driving, need advice! Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Feb 5, 2004, 1:31am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahooXXX.com (Sky)

[...]

Listen........ you're driving a CARGO VAN..........

you're gonna look like a retard, regardless.

Sell the van........and buy yerself something more "age appropriate". A nice little S10 would be appropriate. Then you could come on back in here and talk bout yer new Chevy truck.

But......if yer persist'n on driving that Cargo Van, and looking like a retard, then stick you one of them there "AutoZonedOut" bug eye mirrors on yer side views, and jest be carefull.....that's bout the best you can hope for. Won't likely help....but it ain't gonna hurt none either.

Congrats on yer new license and yer new Van. Go the speed limit, look both ways, don't drive drunk.......and don't let none of yer friends talk you into doing anything stupid...........you don't want to look like a retard in front of the local Poe-leese !!

Marsh Monster ~thinks a 65 year old dude, just getting his drivers license, is freaking amazing~ ===== =====

Reply to
Marsh Monster

thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Sky

Ignore him, keep the shaggin waggin... make it real nice and get the gurlies.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ