Neutral Safety Switch is Where? 96 Sentra

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time searching and had no luck, so I'll just ask here and hope. Can anyone tell me where the Neutral Safety Switch is on on 96 Nissan Sentra, with automatic trans ????

I was assuming it is on the trans somewhere. Is it in the gear shift console perhaps?

The car will sometimes not start ( no crank) in Park, but will start in Neutral.

Thanks,

Zombie

Reply to
Zombie

Should be on the tranaxle between the shift control lever and the case. Held on by three screws. You will need a 4mm pin to adjust the new one when you install it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve W,

Thanks. Sorry to be so dense, but what is the trans axle? One of the 2 axles coming out of the trans and heading toward the wheels? Will the switch have a wire going into it? Thanks.

Reply to
Zombie

Just think of transaxle as another name for the transmission.

Reply to
hls

Transaxle is the entire front drive unit. It is composed of the transmission and the front drive axle. On a rear wheel drive car these are separate parts. On your they are combined into one part.

The part you are looking for will be right next to the cable coming from inside the body down to the side of the transaxle. To replace it you jack up the vehicle. BLOCK THE REAR TIRES WELL. Then with the vehicle in park you disconnect the shift cable from the lever it hooks to. Then three screws come out and the switch will come off. To install the new one reverse the procedure. BUT make sure you adjust it before you drive it. To adjust it you make SURE the cable is attached properly then with the vehicle in park there is a spot where a pin will go into the switch as you move it slightly. Once the pin will slide in and out easily tighten the screws down. Remove the adjustment pin and test it by making sure the vehicle will only start in park or neutral.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve W,

Thanks !