Where is Neutral Safety Switch 96 Sentra?

Hi,

My 96 Sentra with auto trans sometimes does not crank, when in Park, but will crank if you move it to neutral. I'm trying to find the "neutral safety switch" or the "park/neutral switch". I looked under the trans and see there are 3 wires going into it. But I cannot see anything moving on the trans as I shift the gear selector through the gears.

Could the switch be inside the shifter console inside the car ?

Thanks

Reply to
SentraMench

SentraMench wrote the following:

Probably. That's where the switch was on one of my automatics. It turned out to be a quarter (25 cent piece) that fell in there.

Reply to
willshak

Try This.....

Service Manuals in .pdfIncludes year 96

Striker

Reply to
Striker

it's called an inhibitor switch, it's located on the outside of the transmission.

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll go out and look at it again and see if I see something new that I missed before. And yes, a quarter did fall into the console once in this car !

SentraMench

Reply to
SentraMench

I got the console out, and found the quarter in there, but it wasn't affecting anything. I'm 25 cents richer now. I also found the inhibitor switch on the trans by having the gf move the gear selector around as I watched the levers. Thanks, NissTech.

Reply to
SentraMench