Neutral Safety Switch

Hi,

My Neutral Safety Switch has gone bad, I went into 7-11 and when I came out the car wouldn't start, battery wasn't dead and tapping the starter didn't help, but messing with the gearsift got it to start.

I did find the neutral safety switch which was located on the transmission under the air filter, but, it's got 8 wires comming out of it, does anyone know which wires are for the neutral safety cuz, if possible, i'd like to bypass that bitch rather than go through the hassle of putting a new one in.

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

Thomas Moats

Yes, and it still wouldn't start. So after I told the guys at 7-11 that my car was stuck there and I was comming back to look at it, we moved it down to neutral and nothing, then we shoved it back in park, and nothing, then we pushed the gear shift up a bit more and it started. It started 3 times like that, now I can't get anything out of it.

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Sounds like it needs adjusted.

Reply to
Steve Barker

For anyone who's following this post, please see my new post. I've determined it is the starter.

for basic info, I want to swap the starter off a 91 Ford Taurus, wondering if it'll fit since some of the parts seem to not match up and the Sable does have a larger engine.

My new post subject is "1993 Mercury Sable starter"

thanks to those that responded to this, your suggestions were helpful and did let me know that I was doing everything necessary to determine the problem, although I did purchase a new part and the problem didn't move.

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

Just out of curiosity, Steve, what part of the country do you hail from? I've been curious about the geograph- ical origin of this "it needs washed" sort of syntax, wherein the phrase "to be" is omitted, for a long time.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

I b from the middle.