Re: alternator rebuilding software for sale

Do you have or know where a person can buy a Starter & Alternator testing and rebuilding DVD or VHS ( how to video ). Thanks Bill

Reply to
TexasMaverick

I think you don't repair/replace anything in my own alternator. IOW, if it is fubar, you just swap it with a reman, or if you have deep pockets, a NIB. Starter...go for cleaning and getting good cable connections. If you drop below 10.5 volts when starting vehicle ( as read at starter solenoid ) the solenoid power cables are the problem.

AFAIK, nobody sells the parts ( bearings/brushes/windings ) to DIY rebuild an alternator, at least to the consumer public. I could be wrong about that, but that's my information at the present time.

If you're having a problem, start with good terminal connections and grounding. Good clean and tight terminal connections. Make sure the cables don't cause more than a few tenths of a volt drop from one end to the other, max.

You might want a *remote starter switch* to test this, and a VOM. And be _f*ing_ careful !!! I just got out of Shock Trauma and Intensive Care for what would have left me DEAD, doing what I had done 100 times before, except this time I fell 2 stories to the ground. Opps. "Opps" will get you killed. Be sure you know WTF you're doing. You don't want that car coming down on you if you have to go under it.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I don't know where the software might be, but they for sure sell kits for alternators and starters.

I have a kit made by Victory Lap for my AC Delco alternator sitting on the shelf. It covers all of them from a 42 A to a 108 A.

It comes with directions and a new bearing, regulator, diode pack and brushes with springs.

Other makes are available, same for starter kits.

Mike

Mike Romain

Doh. My shop manual says what I wrote. I wonder how much money you're saving by DIY vs. just trading in for a rebult? When you factor in your time. And the cost of the parts. Besides, I have an internal voltage regulator. How do I know what part(s) I actually need? Blown diode? WHICH ONE? burned winding? Which one? Replace them all? Replace everything? I would go for the reman, although I realize that the quality of workmanship might be less than you can provide, there is nothing that leads me to believe you would get Better Parts.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

This was a twenty buck kit with everything normally replaced.

If you have a burned winding, you need one more part....

A 'rebuilt' might only have the diode or regulator replaced. They only fix what's broke usually.

A 'remanufactured' one costs way more and is supposed to be just that, all new guts minus the core. That varies so radically due to sleaze it is really hard to trust the wording at a store...

Mike

Mike Romain

Every winter I see people bringing back their SEARS batteries complaining they don't work anymore and they have only had them a few weeks at most. Never fails. I walk into the store and there is a different face with the same story.

Is it the charging system? Don't they check that when they install a new battery? Hard to believe they do not, as that takes about a minute with a clamp meter and a volt meter. 60 seconds.

So either the Sears batteries are no good, which I find hard to believe, or, these customers have charging system issues. Not being able to check for myself, or wait HOURS in the store for the verdict to come in, I never find out which it was.

You would think their mechanics would be able to say what the issue is. So, I don't trust Sears. I don't know who to trust anymore. Maybe nobody.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Where's your sense of adventure?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Somewhere back about 40 years ago, I lost it by the side of a highway, like a girl loses her virginity.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman