Re: Bodywork needed; Does red paint fade quicker or is this an urban legend? I need some proof

|Hello, | |Please, I need some verifiable proof that red pigmented painted cars |fade sooner than other colored paints. I have a few opinions that red |does fade quicker, possibly due to no lead in the paint, but nothing |from a reliable source. | |I need body work performed on my red 2000 Dodge Truck. One reliable |body shop recommended by my local Dodge dealers claims they will match |my current paint (which is obviously faded next to a 2003 truck of |same color) by actually pre-fading the new paint they will apply. |They will then paint the whole panel with the matching color. | |All other body shops I have approached do not do this type of |matching, they want to paint the area needing the work with the base |color, and then blend the new into the old by using a lessening spray |technique. Obviously, standing 20 feet away, the fixed spot will be a |noticeable darker shade of red when viewing the entire truck. | |The first estimate will cost almost twice what the others cost and the |insurance company I am suing will not cover it. | |If anybody could please provide me with some evidence or refer me to |someone who can provide the evidence that red paint fades faster, I |believe this will help my case and I thank you for it. |

All paints fade to some degree, reds more than almost any other. Color matching is done by any paint mixing business in the normal course of business, no extra charge. They have a spectrometer that they can place on the old paint and their computer will give them an exact match. Settle for no less. The insurance company is obligated by law and by contract to return your truck to the condition it was in before the damage occurred. Hold them to it. You should also be using a rental truck - at their expense - until yours is fixed. If they balk at any of this, tell them you and your wife "haven't had sex since the accident, and who do you talk to about that?" Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

This may stir up a bit more conversation, but I understand that the insurance is required to bring the vehichle up to the original condition, but not required to be better. This is how they get away with using used parts when new would be better. I had also heard that the loss of value due to having been in an accident should also be reimbursed (if there are 2 identical cars, same model and mileage but one has had the finder repainted and the other is all original, the one with original paint is worth more). I've never seen this collected as typically the insurance deals directly with the shop, but if I had to go to court, I would include this in the damages. As I said, this may stir some other conversation, but maybe I'll learn something.....

bb

Reply to
bobby