The Urban Legend Continues . . .

Car Craft continues to fuel the debate! Was the 68 Mustang W Code real, or was it just a pre-production news leak? On page 26 of their August issue, "Top 10 List - Best Years for the Ford Mustang", Car Craft listed the 68 Mustang as #7 out of 10. In the write up of the 68 they say, "and a few cars even left with 390hp 427s under their hoods".

Anyway, if a few did go out the gate, I'd love to see one of them go up for sale on ebay! I bet that auction would break all the records! Super rare and pure muscle!

Maybe I should get a 68 instead of a 69 and do a clone project!

Reply to
John

Shortly after I purchased my '65 fastback in 1972, I was offered a trade for a '67 fastback with a 427. The engine had factory dress-up kit, 4 bbl, etc. with factory decals for 427. At that time, Mustangs were just starting to be collectible, and only 1st generation ones at that, so if a car looked to be original chances were it was. I've never seen another since. Maybe it was a

390 with decals, etc to fake it, but like I say, at that time there was little reason to do so. I like to believe I passed on a unique car, and continue to tell the tale with a tear in my eye, even though I still own the '65.

Still wishing I'd bit

Reply to
Dennis Harrelson

Years ago, I read an article that said Ford listed Fairlanes with "W" code engines, but didn't build any. I had to laugh when I read it because I owned one. A 1967 410 HP 427 Fairlane 500 XL. 7H40W. Years later I met a guy who had the factory records. Ford built exactly 7 of these cars.

Reply to
Bill

Here's what Kevin Marti told me:

John, In spite of the strong disagreements you might encounter, Ford did not sell any Mustangs produced with a 427 in 1968 or any other year. The only vehicle available with a 427 in 1968 was the Cougar. I have even seen pictures of fender aprons with a "W" stamped in them. They have all proved to be forgeries. There were some 68 Shelbys that were delivered to customers with

427s, but they were not released from the factory that way. The 428 was removed and replaced with a 427 long after the car left the Ford assembly line.

Thank you, Kevin Marti Marti Auto Works

12007 W. Peoria Ave. El Mirage, AZ 85335 (623)935-2558 (623)935-2579 FAX snipped-for-privacy@martiauto.com
Reply to
John

Here's an interesting link....even mentions Mr. Marti :

Iggy

NHRA lists the 390 HP 427 in it's stock car classification guide for 1968. They get this info from the manufacturer in the years it is listed. I know that they used to disallow any combination that the manufacturer couldn't prove was actually produced. ???

Reply to
Bill

While no W-code Mustangs were produced, there were plenty (relatively) of W-code Cougars that year. So, any '68 Cougar (or a '67 with side markers added) can run that engine legally. And I'll bet somewhere along the line someone convinced NHRA that Mustangs had them, too. There is a case of a guy with a Fairlane wagon that got legalized with a 427 because the regular Fairlanes had them, even though Ford lit showed no wagons available with that option.

As far as '68 goes with the 427 in NHRA, it's all academic. The 68

1/2 428 Cobra Jet engine will outrun the 427 anyway.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

"Bill" wrote

I remember another phantom combination was the 1970 LS6 Corvette. This was the solid lifter 460 hp 454 that was actually sold in a few thousand 1970 Chevelles/Malibus. I have a dealer brochure on the '70 Vette that includes the LS6 in the engine availability charts. But as far as I know none were ever produced (though I think there might have been some '71 LS6 Vettes.) Does the NHRA have specs on this combo, the '70 LS6 454/460 Vette?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

In your dreams, maybe.

Reply to
Bill

Guys name was Richard Charbeanu. (Spelling maybe incorrect) Car ran mainly in Stock Eliminator, held various records for years. Don't know why the car disappeared, heard something about NHRA deciding that the combination was never built. Still listed in the classification guide, though.

Reply to
Bill