Red Paint

I had an 88 Golf GTI which i adored, Tornado Red was the colour, the only trouble is that the paint 'matted' or bloomed is the expression. I've hadd a notion for an Accord Tourer and really like it in red but am worried that the colour may bloom again, should i play safe and go metallic? Are paints any better nowadays.

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
Ed

Yes, they're better these days.

However, red, yellow, and to some extent, white cars will always need waxing more often to protect the finish.

Reply to
SteveH

Argh! I want a yellow car. I saw a yellow Pug 107 a few days ago, it looked great, and it even smiles* at you!

*(It's the car that smiles, not the paint)
Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Heh - get a yellow 407 and it'll look like some kind of jaundiced toothless evil grin.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The fading problem is actually the pigment not holding up to UV light. Cheap red pigments tend to lack this ability particulary when compared to early century pigments that did hold up to UV light far better than certain modern equivalents.

Some pigments reflect light better than others, reds and yellows for example can appear less opaque allowing UV light to penetrate right through to the undercoat or primer causing colour loss, fading or chalkiness.

It is unlikely that car manufacturers will use expensive pigments on such large scale modern assembly line painting.

It's a bit of lottery whether your cars paintwork will hold up to the persistent battering of light that will sooner than later break down the pigment barrier especially red.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

The message from Stephen Hull contains these words:

The main reason reds fade so badly compared to blue is that they have to absorb the shorter more energetic wavelengths in order to look red. The blue end of the spectrum is far more damaging than the red end. Blue paints, obviously, reflect the blue light and only absorb the red end.

Reply to
Guy King

The solid red colours do seem to be the worst for this. The number of 10 year old red cars that have gone completely matt is amazing. You don't seem to notice anywhere near as frequently with other colours.

You can often restore it with a decent paint cut, though.

Generally speaking, though, a non-classic car always looks better in metallic. I wouldn't dream of buying a non-metallic car these days. They look better, and last better, too. It is much harder to sell a solid coloured car.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Red has a lower permanence than other colours, better quality permanence reds are in a different price range because light fast red pigments are generally more expensive to produce.

Indeed some red pigments allow lightwaves to pass through them and these will require more pigment or paint build up to reach the required level of colour depth to reflect back the light. Some red colours are obtained by using dyes upon a base as opposed to using a red pigment in the paint.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

The message from Stephen Hull contains these words:

Something still has to absorb the blue light for it to appear red - and that blue end of the spectrum is far more energetic and damaging.

Reply to
Guy King

When we look at red we see it as a red and thats because the other colours are being absorbed except the red component which is reflected back, The other component colours are described as white light. Passing white light through a prism will produce component colours and when it hits red paint all the component colours are absorbed except the red which is reflected back.

Red fades when a change in its original chemical structure alters and this can be caused when the balance of absorbed or reflected light changes. Some paint pigments are prone to fading with age some are not.

I don't know much about the colour spectrum or energetic light but I do know that light can degrade an organic pigment which results in colour fading.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

The message from Stephen Hull contains these words:

Quite right. And in general the fading is caused by chemical breakdown caused by incoming light. The more damaging end of the spectrum is the blue end which is why red paint fades faster.

Look in the bottom of a hedge or at old posters that've been in the sun and you'll see that the litter and the poster are predominantly bluish.

Reply to
Guy King

Went for metallic grey. Looks good but i have still got a sneaking preference for the red...never mind. Thanks to allrepondents.

Reply to
Ed