Re: How do repair shops price the parts they put in your car

How would you know this?

How do I know how the shops do business??? I've read the training material they use to increase profits.

RK >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:55:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >> >>>I'm used to using the dodge dealer where i bought my truck so this >>>question never came up. Now that I'm starting to use other shops, i'm >>>wondering how much they typically mark up the parts they order. I >>>just went to an NTB/Merchants place for new front upper ball joints on >>>my dodge truck. Total cost was about $625. Each ball joint costs >>>about $140 on my estimate (and receipt). But i know now that if i >>>had gone to an autoparts store, they'd cost about half that. So is >>>it typical for a 100% markup at these shops? >>>The rest of the $625 was for labor (and shop fees and taxes)....and >>>there was considerable labor >>>because the old ball joints had to (sort of) cut out of the upper >>>control arm. (side note: The ball joints normally come as part of >>>the upper control arm, and they could have just replaced the whole >>>upper control arm (they told me that was an option), but they said it >>>would cost more and not even be necessary or better, though i'm >>>realizing now that it probably would've been better to replace the >>>whole UCA since i'd get a new one at slightly higher cost)....ANYWAY, >>>my main question has to do with these markups of parts. Could i have >>>just bought the parts myself and have them install? (i'm >>>unmechanical) thanks. >> >> >> Most charge double what it cost them. Overall, the typical >> expectation at a shop is that every job will consist of somewhere >> between 50% labor and 50% parts to 33% labor and 66% parts. They >> really don't like doing labor only jobs because they make a lot more >> off the parts then they do off the labor. They also charge flat rate >> labor at most shops and a good experienced mechanic will be able to do >> most repairs in less time then the flat rate so they come out ahead >> there too. Last time I had front end work done they estimated the job >> like yours, using the old control arm and putting new ball joints in >> so it had a little extra labor, then when they were done they had used >> a new control arm, which cost more for the parts, and still charged >> the same total labor even though the arm saved them RR time for the >> ball joint. So they screwed me there for an extra hour or so. >
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There are a lot of different shop management training vendors out there, are you saying that you've read the materials from all of them?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sorry to reply so late:

no computer for a few days.

A rule of thumb is about the 25 to 30 % range.

But, there isn't that much profit in parts anymore, when the customer can go buy for about the same price we do.

Reply to
Refinish King

Apples and oranges. If you are having the shop do the repairs you pay the shops price for the parts. I've seen them charge $15 for a $3 seal PLUS half an hour labor for the 10 seconds it takes to tap it into place. If you don't want to pay their price they usually won't accept you bringing in your own parts and I don't blame them. they are in business to make money and I have no quibble with it when they are an honest shop but a lot of them are crooks.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've never replaced a seal in 15 seconds:

You have to remove parts to access the seal.

I run my business honestly, if my customers want to bring their own parts, I just don't give them a 30 day labor included warranty.

Reply to
Refinish King

Works like this. You go in for front bearing repack. To repack the inner bearing you have to pop the seal. I suppose there might be a way to save it but it would be foolish to bother. In any case, that seal MUST be removed and replaced as part of the repack, it's not a separate operation. So the only question is whether to use a new seal or not and of course only an idiot would reuse the old one even if they could get it out without damaging it. So if you are paying for a new seal it only takes 15 seconds for the R&R of the seal. And they often charge $15 for the $3 seal and some toss in a labor charge. It's usually the places like Firestone, Midas, Mienke that pull this kind of crap.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher