Re: Special Edition Toyota Crown Hybrid (10% cheaper)

I want another Model T Ford, second choice, a Model A Ford rumble seat Roadster. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You know, it's weird. I got to drive a model T for the first time this summer, and I was struck at how primitive it felt compared with the Model A.

The Model A is a real car. It's not as fast as a 2009 model Ford, and it doesn't handle as well, and the heat doesn't work so well. But it feels like a car, and I could see myself taking it on a road trip. It would be reasonably comfortable to commute to work in.

But the Model T.... I can't imagine taking it out on the open road for very far. It feels like a golf cart rather than a real car.

And the thing is, there weren't all that many years between the A model and the T model. It's as if more development was done in those few years than in the succeeding 70 years combined....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Back in the 1970s, a local area guy I know who owns some vintage/antique cars and some other friends of his from some other states, they drove their old restored cars from coast to coast.He was driving his Model T Ford car.He also owns a 1912 Cadillac car.In England, once a year, (I think it is once a year) those people over there and some other people from some other countries, they drive their restored vintage/antique cars all over the UK. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Other than the electronic controls of todays vehicles there isn't much that changed.

4 wheel disc brakes, independent suspension, fuel injection, hybrids, electric cars, steam power, turbine power, rotary engines, power steering, diesel engines, hydrogen, alcohol, wood gas, and a LOT more were all developed in the first 20-30 years of vehicle design.

Makes me laugh at the claims companies and proponents come up with about being the "first of it's kind". Not very likely given how many things were tried over that short time span.

Reply to
Steve W.

More than a "few" years. The T was introduced in 1908, the A in 1929 (I think?) Now the T was improved somewhat over the years, but it was pretty much obsolete by the time it was discontinued. And yes, there were great strides in automotive engineering, materials, etc. over those years. Also keep in mind that the T was introduced before good roads were anything like universal, so it was really part car, part tractor to be able to handle driving on muddy, rutted paths, across fields, etc.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel