Re: Traffic accidents go down as cell phone usage goes up

The statistics quoted here, the ones that I am saying are meaningless,

> are those being used to say that there is no proof that cellphone use > is bad.

There are laws against cellphone use in cars, right? Those laws are made, under the *assumption* that accidents are caused by cellphone use, right?

If accidents are caused by cellphone use, then accidents must be going *up*, simply because cellphone use is going up.

But, accidents are actually going DOWN. It turns out, there is absolutely no correlation with cellphone usage and accidents.

Likweise with injuries.

The *only* positive correlation is with revenue. The cellphone laws are PRIMARILY about *revenue*, not about safety.

Reply to
bob mullen

revenue is what it's all about.

Reply to
nospam

Bad logic. An increase in accidents from cellphone use could be offset by an even larger decrease from other causes.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Nice try.

But just like affirmative action laws, the justification for the law is only bolstered by wishful thinking.

The fact remains that cell phone use in cars makes them safer!

As in old affirmative action laws, the problem is that the law is based on faulty cause & effect.

Reply to
Jessie Williams

And you can propose a mechanism for this?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If cell phones are making drivers unsafe drivers, then, accidents should be going up a lot.

They're not.

There is no adverse affect on accidents with increased cell phone usage. This is a verifiable fact.

The only positive effect of cell phone laws is the increased revenue that occurs from people being ticketed.

Reply to
Jessie Williams

You are saying it is an assumption. Furthermore, no one is saying that all accidents are caused by cellphone use, despite your sloppy wording that implies that that's the reason for the laws.

Even though cellphone use is going up, that doesn't mean it is going up by drivers while driving. That's the reason the statistics you provided are meaningless.

Methinks you were nailed for texting while driving, and are upset about that.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Could be, but he has failed to show that cellphone use by drivers while driving has gone up.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

You're joking, right?

OK, maybe you're not joking, but merely delusional.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

The usual complete and utter bollocks. Another moron joins the killfile. :-\

Reply to
Your Name

Please do not encourage the brainless pinheads.

Reply to
Your Name

He has failed to show anything. I was just pointing out the possible fallacy of one of his many hyperbolic statements.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Furthermore, mobile phone usage hit a plateau in G20 countries many years ago. You need statistics from the decades when it was still increasing.

Reply to
116e32s

true, and don't forget that cellphones *increase* safety. motorists can call in reckless drivers or crashes or a variety of other things, which

*save* lives.
Reply to
nospam

of course cellphone use has gone up. look around next time you drive. plenty of people are on the phone while driving and they weren't 10-20 years ago and certainly not 30 years ago when there were almost no cellphones.

Reply to
nospam

Cellphone use has gone up, there's no denying that. But I'm not talking about that; I'm talking about cellphone use by drivers while driving.

Your suggestion that I look for anecdotal evidence has no bearing on the lack of statistics.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

cellphone use has gone up for everyone no matter where they are.

your suggestion that cellphone use has gone up everywhere *other* than in cars is simply ludicrous.

in fact, they are probably used more in cars than elsewhere because driving is inherently boring and that time can be put to use by calling clients or just yapping to friends.

Reply to
nospam

Yes, but you said there was a _benefit_ to increased cell phone usage. Can you propose a mechanism for this?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I didn't suggest that; I said that the statistics you and the OP are relying on don't show that.

Your facts are not in evidence, and your logic is faulty. In other words, par for the course for you.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Some cars nowadays come from the factories with built in hands free cell phones. Just touch a button and pick a phone number.

Reply to
JR