replacement alternator pulley?

I'm using a Delco 10SI alternator on my '55 Stude, it often squeals the belt on startup or when revving the engine quickly. I was messing with the pulleys today (adding a crank pulley for A/C, which I finally located) and noticed that the issue appears to be the alternator itself

- I can feel where the pulley is very worn and the belt is riding low in it. Question is, where can I find a new, good quality pulley? I figured that this would be a common aftermarket part, but all I can find is billet stuff and that's not the theme I'm going for with this car, I would prefer just a new stock-style pulley, either cad plated or chromed.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Just a thought, but check the planar alignment of the various pulleys.

If they are not sufficiently in the same radial plane and the belt has to flex from one plane to the other, squealing will result. This can sometimes be compensated for by LOOSENING the belt.

Reply to
Tegger

On Jul 21, 8:04 pm, Nate Nagel wrote: Question is, where can I find a new, good quality pulley? I

Several years ago I worked at a place that had extreme dust conditions and alternator pulleys would frequently wear out. We got ours through NAPA and the alternators and replacement pulleys were "Wilson" branded. Your NAPA store may or may not get this brand, however and the parts guy will probably have to look a little harder than normal to get these pulleys. Once again, it all depends on the store. You can do a "Wilson alternator" search on google and it should come up. These were top quality replacement pulleys that looked stock, came in all sizes, groove numbers and diameters.

Reply to
Kruse

That is a GM alternator right? The wreckers should have lots. The rebuild kit I have for it covers AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Chevy/GMC trucks, Jeep, Olds, Pontiac and various farm vehicles.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Figures, I don't know of a NAPA nearby, however I do have a good local FLAPS I will ask if they carry that line. thanks for the tip.

Alternately, I just got a catalog of Ford truck restoration parts and they offer what appears to be a stock-style chromed fan and single grooved pulley. Anyone know if the shaft is the same size/shape between a Ford alternator and a Delco alternator?

I actually have a spare 63 amp Delco in my garage, but it has a double groove pulley on it (came off a Cadillac) Don't have a local junkyard to score another one from.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Why not just use the double groove pulley if the belt align and the diameter is close?

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

Because that would not be aesthetically pleasing with the hood open. Yes, this is one of *those* kind of cars... don't get me wrong, I'm building it to be a driver, but I want it to look presentable under the hood as well.

nate

Reply to
N8N

summitracing.com search for alternator pulleys.

I have the $20 underdrive one on my race car. They have all sorts of billet and shiny ones for show purposes. :)

Or, you could find one at a junkyard and clean it and paint it...

Ray

Reply to
ray

I've looked there, and all I could find were 'billet' ones which doesn't really fit my theme... for example, the air cleaner is off a '62 Vette (louvered chrome steel) and the valve covers are repros of the old Offenhauser finned aluminum ones. Basically I am not using anything that couldn't have been found in the 50's or 60's with the exception of the alternator itself. (my one concession to driveability.)

HOWEVER... since I went back and looked, one pulley/fan kit was listed as "for Delco or Ford alternators" so I am assuming that the Ford one that looks like what I want will work. So it wasn't a totally fruitless search!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you can use a stock one, a decent parts place should let you swap yours for a good used one, at NO charge, for a core/trade-in. Done many parts this way, altho' I've always had to do the labor swapping!!! HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2