Shock oil- not for hydr. jacks- why?

Shock absorber oil is apparently not supposed to used in hydraulic jacks (bottle jacks, floor jacks, etc.). Anyone know the reason? Why buy overpriced bottle jack hydraulic oil when basically free used shock absorber oil is there for the taking?

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Google,,, Shock absorber oil for using in hydraulic jacks Youtube I rarely ever use my hydraulic jacks. If they need fluid I would used hydraulic jack fluid.

Reply to
JR

Different viscosity and additives in shock oil. Jack oil is usually nothing more than hydraulic fluid (unless you have one of the newer jacks that use a special non-toxic oil) Those actually use the same stuff that is used in Hurst rescue tools.

Reply to
Steve W.