spark plug socket wrench won't hold plug enough to remove

It keeps falling out. I don't have a long enough needle nose pliers to get it out is there another handy household contraption I can use to get deep in the hole to grab the plug and remove it or do I need to hit the hardware store?

Reply to
Joe

get it out with a magnet

Reply to
<a>

wrote in news:4672ed22$0$5377$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

or a piece of rubber fuel line. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Buy yourself a spark plug wrench with a magnetic insert. Bite the bullet, for a couple of bucks. Wrenches without any inserts are a PITA, and those with foam rubber inserts are but little better.

Dont go to a gunfight with a pocketknife.

Reply to
<HLS

In a pinch, sticky tape can solve a wide range of problems. Just wad up a bit and shove it in your socket. It'll pull the spark plug right out. Use it to tape screws to the screwdriver, too, for fitting into tight spots.

Not a permanent substitute for a quality tool, of course, but this trick can often save a trip to the store.

Reply to
Ninja

All the 'spark plug sockets' I have have a rubber insert for grabbing onto the plug and removing or installing it.

Might I suggest a real spark plug socket, rather than a socket 'that fits'.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Buy yourself a plug socket that has a rubber insert to hold the end of the plug. These are made specifically as "spark plug" sockets. Not just any deep socket of the right size is a spark plug socket.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

It might also help if the OP posted the make/model/engine involved. Many newer cars have the spark plugs below a long shaft, and most sparkplug sockets are too thick. I found that twisting the socket extension a little to the side is enough to keep the plug grabbed for the long trip out of the well.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I have had several with rubber inserts over the years, and they are an improvement over a "socket that fits". With time, the inserts have degraded on some of mine, or have hardened, or loosened and fallen out.

The best I ever had was a magnetic one, but I dont know where you have to go to buy one now.

Reply to
<HLS