Spark plug socket advice

I was checking my spark plugs yesterday using my 14mm spark plug socket 3/8 drive one. My problem is when I remove the spark plugs e.g. just undo it and try to pull it out it doesn;t grip it to pull it up ? sometimes the little rubber bed in the socket comes out onto the spark plug.

Ended up using a needle nose plier to pull it out.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or ifs theres a better tool for the job ?

Thanks

Reply to
munki

munki has brought this to us :

They all do that, when they are worn.

A short bit (12") of thick walled rubber tube which is a tight push fit on the end of the plug can help and better than pliers. Also make sure the plug is completely unscrewed before trying to pull it out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I found a magnetic one by drapper ... is this any good or can this damage the spark plug ....? (might sound daft but I had a few magnetic tales of damage in the past, so always double check :) )

Reply to
munki

Champion did make a magnetic insert in a spark plug socket.

Reply to
Rob

i use both, rubber & magnetic ones, depends on what vehicle im removing the plugs from.

Reply to
reg

Best ones are the Suzuki ones I have, they use a sprung loaded ball to grip the plug hex. Never seen any other make though.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , munki writes

Use Araldite or similar to glue the rubber insert to the socket. Worked for mine.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

I have always used a short piece of garden hose - putting one end over the plug, and then using the the hose to place the plug into it's hole and hand-tightening helps to avoid stripping the thread, and it's just as good to remove the plug after loosening with the plug socket. (You may need to make a short slit in the hose so the plug can fit in.)

Reply to
GTS

Bah god knows why I didn't do that. I' sure I chucked it back in the toolbox, goes to hunt!

I think the reason it came lose in the first place is genius here though a drop of oil on the rubber would help it somehow! idiot I know. As before it was locking on to the plug head and after I screwed it out I tried pulling it up and it just kept coming off.

Reply to
munki

I've used heavy duty silicon vacuum hose on the plug cap terminal before to do the same thing. Something like 3-4mm bore and a couple of mm wall thickness. Stiff enough not to stretch too far, but bendy enough to get awkward angle plugs in without crossing.

Reply to
Elder