Spark Plug (socket) Sizes?

Years ago on American cars weren't all spark plugs using the smaller

5/8 socket?

When did 13/16 sockets for plugs become commonplace?

What's the other common socket size for spark plugs? What about metric? Import cars?

thanks,

Reply to
pgtr

No.

Oh, 40 years ago or so I'll guess...

Reply to
Brent P

Nope.

Well, my 1949, 1966, 1969, 1973, and 1993 American vehicles all use

13/16 plugs. In fact, I've never owned a vehicle that used 5/8 plugs. I know that the Chrysler 440 "motorhome" cylinder head required them due to an extra cooling passage near the base of the plug hole, but that's the only application I can think of right off the top of my head.
Reply to
Steve

A long time ago, even before my time, there were spark plugs with a 7/8 hex and 18 mm thread. Now we have 18 mm, 5/8, 13/16 along with 10 mm, 12 mm and

14 mm threads.
Reply to
Chas Hurst

| |Is it fair to say that 5/8 and 13/16 were both popularly and widely |used on older American cars? Just as likely to have one or the other |or roughly 50/50? | |My newer Japanese cars all seem to use 13/16. However my newer German |car uses 5/8. | |What is the broadly generalized version of who uses (used) what |when...?

From memory, with all the limitations that brings ...;)

GM came with 5/8" plugs in 1971. Most GM cars use them still Ford can't make up their mind, but 5/8 plugs seem to be the majority today Chrysler - ditto

|I also have a 3/4" spark plug socket that I've never used.

Small engines, as in lawnmower

|I think there is also an 18mm spark plug socket around but donno about |that one either...

Motorcycles

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks everyone! That really helpded clarify the evolution of all these spark plug sockets I have here!

thanks again

Reply to
pgtr