Elantra spark plug torque setting

I've changed the spark plugs a few times in my Elantra. I've worked on machines long enough to know when a screw is tight but not too tight, but I decided to buy a torque wrench to be more precise next time. The problem is the manual offers no numbers and I'm hoping someone here knows the correct ft/lbs to torque a spark plug in the Elantra head. I'm guessing it's aluminum and the danger of over-tightening is real (I have bad memories of over tightening plugs in an old VW engine and needing heli-coils). TIA

Reply to
Victek

The spark plug torque setting for most recent Elantra engines is 15-21 lb-ft. Some early models use 11-18 lb-ft.

Reply to
GWW

Thanks for confirming. That's the general range I've read in other sources. By the way, is the head in fact aluminum?

Reply to
Victek

I'd think that this spec is listed someplace in the shop manual on the Hyundai repair web site. Did you check that?

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Yes, Aluminum.

Reply to
hyundaitech

replying to Richard Steinfeld, rsohm2001 wrote: The Hyundai service website used to be free but now they charge hundreds of dollars a year for access to shop manuals.

Reply to
rsohm2001