torque settings on various parts

Hi All

I'm wondering about torque settings on various parts when repairing cars. My questions is really for the mechanics who work on several different makes of cars, not necessarily those who work strictly on Ford, GM etc. If I take my car to a shop and get the caliper removed in order to replace the rotor for example, does the mechanic have all the reference books from (eg) Helm to know that my Windstar needs the caliper anchor plate tightened to 85 ft-lbs? I'm wondering as a few friends have asked me to help replace/repair various things on their cars/vans. I've got the info for my vehicles but these guys don't. Of course I always tell them to buy the literature but does the average garage have this info? I don't think I've ever seen any shop have this info out.

What do you think?

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Cameron wrote in article ...

They may not have the actual OEM shop manual for each car - which is what Helm produces/distributes - but most professional garages have either Motors/Chilton/Mitchell manuals or they subscribe to something such as All-Data to access technical information via computer as they need it.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Having with great difficulty just removed wheel nuts off my Nissan which were tightened by my dealer to a torque of probably over 100 ft-lb, I strongly doubt whether mechanics (here in Melbourne at least) worry too much about exact torques. I admire the mechanics on this newsgroup who do believe in using a torque wrench.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Mydlarz

Good one. Years ago, when I brought my Explorer into a Ford dealer for a warranty-covered seat track repair, I asked the shop manager to have the technician follow the torque spec in the technical service bulletin (which I provided.) He said: "Look, Buddy, I'm not going to lie to you, we just use an impact wrench." (No Torque Stik I guess)

When I got the vehicle back, he told me he DID in fact direct the technician use a torque wrench. Who knows if he really did. I always recommend that EVERYONE get a torque wrench and double-check their wheel lug nuts at least. (Many manuals want you to re-check the lugnuts after a certain number of miles after a wheel is removed and replaced anyway.) And of course you MUST use a torque wrench for certain jobs, including replacing spark plugs and certain engine work.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni