Transit cylinder head bolts torque settings

The transit cylinder head gasket change continues.

Accord to the haynes manual torque settings for transit head bolts are

Stage 1 52NM Stage 2 52NM Final 90 degree turn.

Seems a bit strange first stage and second stage being the same? Also seems a bit on the low side to other cars I've done.

Is this right?

Also I've read that some people suggest a thin smear of gasket paste on the cylinder head and engine block in addition to the cylinder head gasket. Anything thoughts on this?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net contains these words:

Definitely not.

As for the torques - well, I bet you'll find once you've been round the whole lot the first time they'll move quite a way before you reach the same value again. However, it does sound odd and I'd be tempted to try to cross-check it.

Reply to
Guy King

autodata says 70nm, 70nm, 90degrees

But give the exact year and type and I'll double check.

best to use a genuine gasket, but never put anything on it. Nothing mainstream and modern ever uses anything on the head gasket (AFAIK)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Autodata also gives the same value for Stages 1&2, but it says 70Nm +

90deg, not 52. You probably have a lb-ft value, as 70Nm is equivalent to 53lb-ft.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Nearly, should be 70, 70, then 90 degrees. The second stage is just to make sure that all the bolts are still torqued once the gasket has compressed a little under the force of all the bolts being torqued in the first stage, I have never found the bolts to move any for the second torque stage on that engine.

Use the gasket dry, make sure the faces are both spotless.

Reply to
SimonJ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net saying something like:

In the dim and distant, some engines were prone to leakage from oil and water passages cut through the gasket. That's where this advice originated, but nowadays it shouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon