transmission problem

What can cause a car to leak transmission fluid? We have a 1992 Sable and had the transmission changed less than 2 years ago. Now it's leaking fluid. What could the problem be?

Thank you.

Loretta

Reply to
bubblegummom

Most likely the front seal is leaking if it's a big leak. It could be other things like a lose cooler line, or a seal on the side for the shifter mechanism. Or even the pan seal could be leaking a little.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thank you. If something like you suggested is the problem, is this anything that could be do-it-yourselfed? Or would it be very expensive to have it fixed at a shop?

Thanks!

Loretta

Asht> >

Reply to
bubblegummom

You could do only the pan seal or (clean, repair, tighten) the coolant lines; but this tidbit of info is gonna cost you a couple of pics of the job-in-progress. They might do wonders for Mom's ego! If it's the 'worst' seal, it could get into $450-range, as trans has to be removed. Luck to you--we'll be awaiting the pics!! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

i agree seal..but pan and lines you could check yourself..good luck..

Reply to
Scrapper

A hole.

Reply to
Noozer

There are a lot of places it could leak that would not be a very pricey fix.

How much does it leak?

Remote diagnosis is much easier if you can find out where its leaking- is the whole transmission wet? Just the flat pan on the bottom? Are you sure its transmission fluid? Power steering fluid can look similar.

I'd head to a local garage before going to a transmission shop- they're much more likely to fix a cheap problem cheaply, as opposed to a transmission shop.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp