Upper and Lower ball joint. 1997 Chevy blazer

hello.

I am in need of replacing the upper and lower ball joints on both front wheels. I am wondering if this is a complicated thing to do, and if some special tools are required? The shop is asking approx

220.00 in labour + parts. I am a bit on the broke side, and I can learn and save some money while the bank is tight, why not. Any on line web site with general info on replacing the ball joints? any tips, will be highly appreciated.
Reply to
bob

If you'd like to save some cash, examine the upper joints. They generally don't need replacing anywhere near as often as the lowers.

Did one fail? If so, maybe the other side's lower one is right behind it, maybe it's not. There are tests to find out if they're wearing out. Sometimes it's visual, sometimes it's by checking for play in a certain way.

You could save even more by doing it yourself. Autozone or some other parts store should be able to rent you the press for free and the ball joint should cost 35-70 bux each, I'd expect. The lowers are a fairly simple job if you have jackstands ($10-$20 per set).

If they're riveted in it's a little harder, as the top ones are in many vehicles. The lower ones are generally bolted on.

Reply to
Bob Hetzel