Mass Airflow - To Clean or Not to Clean??

That is the question...

My family's mechanic is adamant - NEVER CLEAN A MAF SENSOR - REPLACE IT. I'm willing to believe him since he's been right about everything else.

He states "cleaning a MAF will deteriorate its functioning or destroy it outright." Is he correct?

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Dont take my word for it.. but I am gonna clean my MAF for two reasons.

  1. I am broke

  1. Cant really loose if you are careful. A can of electronic cleaner , sprayed gently through the wires and some cotton tips, should do the job. however, be very careful.

heres a quick link

then click on the link " cleaning MAF wires "

Reply to
bob

he probably said to replace the MAF because if you clean it and use to much pressure on the spray, it can break the wire, and if that breaks the whole piece is junked.

Reply to
Eric F

No. If the alternate is to replace it with a new sensor, what possible harm is there in trying to clean it? Worst case, it's destroyed and you end up buying a new MAF, which is what he suggests in the first place. You also have a chance of fixing or extending the life of your current MAF and saving that cost.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Mechanics never clean anything! They replace it instead. It's because they make more money that way. You have nothing to lose by cleaning it. The worst thing that could happen if you clean it is that you break it and have to replace it anyway.

I highly recommend cleaning your MAF, just be careful when you do it.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Reply to
Stan Kasperski