Windshield pitting?

Normal driving, some higher speed highway, no dust storms, after a couple of years the new windshield is pitted. Tiny specks that show up at sunset. So what is in the air to cause this?

Reply to
Daniel

Bugs and left over dust from dirty road salt combined with cheap glass causes that up here in Canada.

Aftermarket windshields seem to pit 'way' faster.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

In cold climes, they sometimes sand the road with a mixture of sand and salt. This will pit the heck out of a windshield..

Even in hot places like Texas, there is plenty of abrasive dust and sand on the road. It just isnt always obvious.

Reply to
hls

Sand and road grit, Bug guts, Acid rain and a few other items all contribute to glass damage.

Reply to
Steve W.

The trick is to avoid driving 5' behind anybody's tires or directly behind sand trucks. Do both and the chances of getting windshield pits drops to almost nil.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

People should do this anyway, even in the best of weather.

f course, it doesnt stop slush being thrown onto your windshield by approaching cars though.

Reply to
hls

Abrasives like sand, gravel, etc. are the cause. Try driving well behind large trucks on any road and pull back from other cars on sandy roads.

Reply to
John S.

It's the bb's that I toss out my window when you are tailgating me.

Reply to
Steve Austin

That still doesn't work. "Sandblasted" windshields are a common thing here in the West, due to all of the above plus dust storms that you can't avoid. It's a part of a vehicle's life out here.

Reply to
Bob M.

Daniel, to avoid hi cost to replace ws, we use glass companies/services. We've had ~ a dozen ws's 'polished' (actually buffed) over the years with remarkable results. IIRC the cost was ~ a third the cost to replace. Just a reminder that such a service is available. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Some pitting is from abrasive action. Another sources of a less than clear windshield can be chemical in nature. Acid rain will eventually etch the glass.

Reply to
tnom

Those Nordics over there in Scandinavia,,,, acid rain is gradually changing their blonde hair green. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I was responding to the O.P. who stated specifcally that he had no dust storms. I don't know what your response has to do with.

Reply to
John S.

Now, now...

Reply to
hls

My hair used to be brown.Back in the late sixties/early seventies, it turned silver grey in double quick time. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin