96 Caravan stalls after highway driving

My 96 Dodge Grand Caravan stalls after driving on the highway for a while. Once I've been driving at highway speed for at least an hour or
more, the van suddenly looses acceleration. I can make it go for a few minutes by playing with the accelerator, but then it "bucks" and looses all acceleration. It will sputter, engine backfire, and move sluggishly before stalling. It has a hard time starting after that, and doesn't run well. It will only start smoothly and run for a while after sitting for at least 1/2 hour, but usually for 1-2 hours. But, eventually, it will stall again after some driving. Any ideas?

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me, more then likely its the original one in the tank. You may have a hard time finding someone that will drive it for that long to get it to act up and a fuel pressure test will more then likely show good if it is tested while it isn't acting up. My other guess is that there probably isn't a check engine lite on because the fuel pump wont set a fault.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

I'm with Glenn. This sounds just how my 96 GV acted when the fuel pump was failing. The dealer finally installed a fuel rail pressure gage, taped it to the windshield and then drove it for a few days until it acted up with them. It took nearly eight months and four visits to the dealer (two via tow truck) to isolate the problem.
Matt
<<<<<I'm with Glenn. This sounds just how my 96 GV acted when the fuel pump was failing. The dealer finally installed a fuel rail pressure gage, taped it to the windshield and then drove it for a few days until it acted up with them. It took nearly eight months and four visits to the
dealer (two via tow truck) to isolate the problem.
Matt >>>>>
I'm with Glenn and Matt on this one. Especially if you're near the 130K mile mark. And if the problem is worse the warmer the weather gets. I spent two days on the Oklahoma Turnpike with similar symptoms. The dealers suspected it was the pump, but none could confirm it. When I finally made it home I changed the pump myself and no more problems.
I was really impressed with two of the dealers....they spent probably 12 hours between them and neither would charge a penny since they couldn't find the problem.

FWIW, I have a 92 2.5 Dodge Shadow that gave the same symptoms. Mechanic guessed the fuel pump, but then checked the codes using his machine. It was the oxygen sensor going bad, and after the engine had run for awhile, the computer would try to lean out the mixture, untill the vehicle became undriveable. Let it sit for awhile, and all would be fine for an hour or two. Replaced the sensor, its run fine ever since.
Deke

run,
Tell me Noman, have you -ever- had that happen to you or are you just pulling this great story out your ass?
Ted