Car Cover for Hail Storms?

Just currious if any of you car geeks know if these exist or not? I am in DFW, Tejas... and we have lots of hail storms in spring and fall. One of our cars has to be exposed to the elements due to garage size. Any idea if their are car covers that protect from hail storms? Or will a regular car cover work?

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

There's a Taser-equipped car cover that will do exactly what you want, but your fear of being tazed prevents you from using it.

I think you need leather or thick vinyl fabric. This will definitely keep hail from chipping the paint and should prevent dents from pea- size hail. I had a car bra that did a decent job against rocks that size, but 3/4" rocks would leave 1/16"-deep dents (and no paint damage).

The only vinyl car cover I know of is Budge Blue, but it's made of vinyl way too thin for dent protection.

How about parking under a Hummer?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"larry moe 'n curly" ...

You asshole. LOL

Evil. Pure evil you are.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Don't Taze Me, Bro!"...

A garage works really well.... ;-) Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

A 10' x 20' awning or "portable garage", an A-shaped steel pipe stand with a heavy reinforced tarpaulin cover over it. This will only work for small sizes of hail from pea hail up to about grape size, and might go a bit larger if you double-tarp the roof.

If you get the big stuff in the golf-ball to baseball sizes, your only hope is some type of temporary carport, but with several layers of overlapped plywood on the roof and sides (under the plastic tarps as a rainstop) to serve as a ballistic shield.

Putting the plywood in an A shape will help break the velocity of hailstones coming straight down, but strong winds could make the impact square which would have the best chance of punching through.

When it gets up past baseball size and approaching basketball, your only hope to escape unscathed is a nice carport made of welded sheets of 1/2" sheet steel or better. (This is the size hail that would punch right through the roof of a regular garage, and anything you do 'temporary' isn't even gonna slow it down.)

When you hang a few thousand pounds of steel sheet overhead you had better get the frame and foundation engineered, because if it falls over it'll crush the car...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

In the back pages of Pop Mechanics I once saw an ad for inflatable buildings, including a garage. So how about inflating some rubber rafts and tying them to the car?

Reply to
beerspill